Friday, December 21, 2007

Low energy

from my medication and I've slept until 9:00am. I took my HUMIRA injection yesterday at my doctor's office under the guidance of Jeanine, the office nurse. She started off by showing my exactly how to handle the Humira Pen, a long tubular pen like device with a needle on one end and a push button trigger on the other end. The needle is concealed by the tube and after I have iced an area of my upper thigh, I swab it with an alcohol swab, hold the pen, lightly, to the now sterile area and press the other end of the pen. I count to 10 seconds and feel a slight pinch. When the little yellow ball in the window of the pen shows, the medication has been fully dispensed. I take a little cotton ball and hold it in the area of the injection, but not too much pressure because that almost hurts more than the shot itself and put a bandaid over the cotton ball to stop any bleeding. With Jeanine's approving smile, she pats me on the shoulder and says, "Like a champ". Continuing on, she says that most men would rather come in for the one hour I V hook up than to administer the shot themselves. Yes, I was very brave under Jeanine's care. In two weeks under my own supervision, we'll see where my brave ability level will be then!

No comments: