Monday, January 28, 2013

The Power of Massage

Last Friday, I was gifted a surprise massage by my wife. No, we did not have a couples massage even tho I asked. This was a gift for me. I've never been to a professional massage in all my 50 years and now was a better time than ever. The establishment is called Massage Envy located in Redwood City. As I walked in, the surroundings reminded me of another beautiful and serene facility called Watercourse Way in Palo Alto. Both, very much zen like and peaceful. It's all about relaxation and I am all for that type of healing. My massage therapist was Cody Lam who has a very gentle way and peacefulness about her. I read her bio located on the table in the waiting room which after talking with her, she stated that the book is at least four years old! Definitely needs to be updated as she is no longer in Massage school. Upon entering my room which was low lit and the tranquil sound of Asian inspired music in the background, I was ready for more peacefulness. I undressed down to my undergarment and slipped under the light sheet and blanket and felt the warm massage table which you can choose to have added before your massage. A few minutes later, Cody entered the room and spoke quietly on what I would like to have done today. I asked that my upper back, shoulders, arms, hands, upper neck areas to be targeted. I would have liked the whole body massage but I really wanted to have specific areas to be her focus. My whole being in those areas ached tremendously and to have her work her magic hands on me was delightful and healing. The firmness of her hand strokes were soothing yet powerful. Each stroke rhythmic and balanced like a painter to her blank canvass. My deep breaths seduced by her movements, the distress in my aching muscles commanded her attention and the feeling of contentment eased my discomfort. My grand wish list would have this delicious elixir of movement every week for the rest of my life. Maybe even twice a week! This antidote would cure most ills of the world, one can only hope.

No comments: