Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Ground Zero

as an extensive weather system slammed into California from a cold and gusty Alaskan front unleashing hurricane forced winds of 60 plus miles per hour and continuous rainfall. I awoke to the sounds of blaring continuous chainsaws and could not fall back to sleep. News warnings broad-casted on the radio and T.V. that if you didn't have to venture outside, don't. Airlines were cancelling flights in anticipation of the weather here and elsewhere due to weather leaving passengers stranded at local airports during this holiday week as many of tried to make it home. Power outages were frequent and luckily, mine only flickered a few times, armed with candles and flashlights at the ready, I was prepared. Peering out of my backyard window, I could hear the angry wind howling and whipping through my leafless pear tree as the branches quivered uncontrollably. The dark, grey skies foreshadowing an ominous sign of destruction and danger. One of my co-workers called to see if I had electricity, his had been out since 6:00am. I looked at our flight schedule online and advised him that all of our flights have not departed or did an air return. To him, that meant that it was going to be another long night of accommodating customers and hearing their rants. I imagined the airport would be a war zone with the winds gathering much strength there due to it's location and is subjected to high winds all the time. Yes, the object is to stay home today and stay warm. With my days numbered of when I will be returning to work, I'm truly delighted that it is not this week.

No comments: