Monday, March 3, 2014

We Passed!!!

I was speaking for my son and I as he drove into the DMV test area in Fairfield, California to finish up his driving test for the 2nd time which resulted in the most grandest smile on my son's face I had ever seen in his lifetime and a heavy sigh of relief from me. It was a successful drive test day. It started yesterday when I traded my "mom hat" and became the "drive instructor" and helped him to train for all the nuances, pitfalls and unknown "what if" scenarios that could befall a new driver. His first drivers test a few weeks ago was fine until he came to what we call the dreaded "yellow box". It is the broken lined oblong box that separates traffic that allows you into the area before safely crossing over to either side before or after on-coming traffic to make your left or right turn. He was automatically disqualified "DQ" as was written on his test when he was asked to make a left hand turn from his lane. He was completely unaware of this "box" area and proceeded to rush through the box before oncoming traffic was approaching him and made it to the area that he was advised to go. By doing that, he failed to safely drive into the box area and wait for oncoming traffic to pass and then proceed safely into making his left hand turn. We went over and over this scenario for quite some time until it was "Pa'a" (Hawaiian) or burned in his mind. He did rather well and I prayed to the Good Lord today to watch over him. It was a big relief to both of us on his accomplishment. After the test was over, we drove to Inn-N-Out burger to celebrate our victory and again the "yellow box" came up and he handled it like a champ! I have no doubt that he will be a good driver as in everything that he does, he does well. I drop him off at base which I'm sure he will nap well. As for me, it was a long drive back home but now happy to know that the sacrifices that I make for my son and my now adult children, I do this out of love.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to your son!